2 cans (14 ounces each) diced Italian style tomatoes, with juice
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound total), ends removed
1 cup (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
¼ teaspoon olive oil
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper flakes, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 6-8 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes.
3.Season with salt. Let cool.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Slice zucchini lengthwise into thin strips (about 1/8 inch thick) using a sharp knife.
3. Place 5 or 6 zucchini slices, overlapping slightly, in the bottom of a greased 8-inch square baking dish.
4. Top with 1 cup sauce. Spread evenly with ¼ cup cheese.
5. Repeat twice with zucchini, remaining sauce, and ½ cup cheese.
6. Top with remaining zucchini; brush with the olive oil. Spread with remaining ¼ cup cheese, and season with pepper.
7. Bake, uncovered, until lasagna bubbles and top browns, 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Grazziela/Shutterstock.com.