Are you on the hunt for the next best chicken recipe? This one is for you! This recipe takes ordinary chicken and turns it into something truly special. By using salsa, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, corn, black beans, and sour cream, we're able to make a dinner that your family will remember for months to come.
Salsa doesn't have to just be for Mexican night. With this recipe, you'll start to see it in an all-new light. You're welcome to use any kind of salsa in this recipe, but keep the heat tolerance of your family in mind. You'll want to go with a mild salsa if anyone in your family can't handle a lot of spice!
If your family loves to turn up the heat, go with some hotter salsa. Recipes that can be tailored to your family's preferences are always great. You have the ability to create something that is representative of what your family enjoys, and what they want out of their dinner each night.
With the slow cooker, you'll know that you're getting meat that's tender every time. This recipe will need six to eight hours to cook. You'll add some final ingredients in the last 30 minutes, and before you know it you'll have dinner on the table for everyone to enjoy!
Slow Cooker Cowboy Chicken
4-6 chicken breasts
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 cups salsa (any type)
1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup sour cream (plus extra for serving)
Brown rice (for serving)
1. Place chicken in a 5-6 quart greased slow cooker.
2. In medium bowl mix brown sugar, mustard, and salsa.
3. Pour mixture over chicken. Add water to cover chicken, if needed. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
4. With 30 minutes of cook time remaining remove the lid and shred the chicken using two forks.
5. Add the beans, corn, and sour cream to the slow cooker and mix together with the chicken. Replace lid and cook for remaining 30 minutes.
6. Serve over rice with sour cream.