At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Fresh Corn Chowder
2 sticks butter
4 bacon slices, chopped
2 cups finely diced onion
12 ears of fresh sweet corn, kernels removed
4 minced garlic cloves
3 quarts chicken broth
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 quart light cream
1 cup flour
1 cup finely diced celery
1 teaspoon dried thyme
4 cups diced Yukon Gold potatoes, cooked and drained
Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a large stock pot, melt one stick (8 Tablespoons butter), and cook the bacon on high heat until crispy.
2. Remove pot from heat and remove bacon. Drain bacon on a plate, set aside.
3. Add the onions to butter and bacon fat and cook until lightly browned (about 10 minutes).
4. Stir in 1/2 the corn and cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Add garlic, then the chicken stock and red pepper flakes, and bring to a boil.
6. In another pot bring the cream just to a boil and add to corn mixture.
7. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat, then remove the creamy corn mixture from heat and set aside. Allow to cool 15-20 minutes.
8. In a small pot melt the remaining butter and whisk in the flour over low heat. Whisk continuously for 5 minutes.
9. In a sauté pan, cook the remaining corn, celery, and thyme in a little oil for about 5 minutes.
10. Add the butter and flour mixture to the corn celery thyme mixture, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil.
11. Add this mixture and the cooked diced potatoes to the cooled creamy corn mixture. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.