At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
4 teaspoons olive oil
8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into small chunks
Pinch of salt, plus more taste
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 ½ cups)
2 stalks celery, diced (about ½ cup)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup orzo, preferably whole-wheat
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt, add it to the pot, and cook, stirring, a few times, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
2. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil to the pot, add the onion, celery, carrot, and thyme and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add 5 cups of the broth and bring to a boil.
4. Add the orzo and let simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Turn the heat down to low to keep the soup hot but not boiling.
5. Warm the remaining 1 cup broth in a small saucepan until it is hot but not boiling.
6. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs.
7. Gradually whisk the lemon juice into the eggs.
8. Then gradually add the hot broth to the egg-lemon mixture, whisking all the while.
9. Add the egg-lemon-broth mixture to the soup, stirring well until the soup is thickened. Do not let the soup come to a boil.
10. Add the cooked chicken to the soup. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Total Fat 10g