At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Whole Roasted Garlicky Herb Chicken
1 roasting chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
2 teaspoons each minced fresh parsley, rosemary, sage and thyme
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
20 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 medium lemon, halved
1 large whole garlic bulb
1 sprig each fresh parsley, rosemary, sage and thyme
1. With fingers, carefully loosen skin around the chicken breast, leg and thigh. Combine minced parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper; rub half under skin. Place sliced garlic cloves under skin. Squeeze half of the lemon into the cavity and place the squeezed half in the cavity.
2. Remove papery outer skin from whole garlic bulb (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulb. Place garlic bulb and herb sprigs in the cavity. Skewer chicken openings; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string.
3. Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Squeeze the remaining lemon half over chicken; rub remaining herb mixture over chicken.
4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1½ to 1¾ hours or until chicken juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180° (cover loosely with foil if browning too quickly). Baste with pan drippings if desired.
5. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Remove and discard skin, garlic, lemon and herbs from cavity before carving.
Yield: 8 servings
3 ounces cooked chicken equals:
6 g fat (2 g saturated fat)
67 mg cholesterol
289 mg sodium
3 g carbohydrate
23 g protein
Diabetic Exchange: 3 lean meat