Fried Buttermilk Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 5 ounces each)
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoons dry ranch dip mix
1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
1 cup walnut pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper for taste
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
3. Place the chicken in a large freezer bag or between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound to a 1½-inch thickness.
4. Whisk together the buttermilk and dip mix in a shallow dish.
5. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
6. Combine the panko and walnuts in a food processor and process until fine.
7. Transfer the panko mixture to a shallow dish.
8. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk mixture and shake off the excess buttermilk.
9. Transfer the chicken to the panko mixture and turn to coat both sides.
10. Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the crust is crisp and golden.
11. Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper before serving.