Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This chicken pot pie recipe is hearty fare for hungry folks. If you thought frozen chicken pot pie was good food, you need to try this homemade version. It's easy to make and will convert you from frozen chicken pot pie. Forever.
Once this starts baking, you'll drool in anticipation at the thought of tender chicken swimming in a thickened creamy vegetable filled sauce, surrounded by flaky pie crust.
Chicken pot pie is the kind of meal a lot of us crave when it's cold, wintry, and our outsides are shivering. We need that injection of comfort food that warms us up like nothing else can. A bone-chilling rain that seems to freeze our inner soul is no match for a great chicken pot pie! Serve with a crisp green salad and baked cinnamon apple slices for a meal that everyone will show up at the table for, possibly an hour in advance.
Chicken Pot Pie
2 pie crusts - unbaked (Pillsbury ready to bake or homemade (pie crust recipe)
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (1/4 inch thick)
2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
3 Tablespoons dry sherry
1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
3 Tablespoons minced parsley (fresh)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F, place oven rack in middle position.
2. Place chicken and broth in a stock pot over medium heat. Cover, bring to a simmer and simmer until the chicken is done (about 10 min.)
3. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl; reserve the broth in a separate cup or small bowl.
4. Place oil in the stock pot, turn heat to medium high.
5. Add the carrots, onion and celery. Sauté until just tender (about 5 min.). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Shred the chicken meat into bit-sized pieces, then place the vegetables into the bowl with the chicken and set aside.
7. Heat the butter in the now empty stock pot over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and cook 1 minute.
8. Whisk in the chicken broth, milk and thyme. Bring to a simmer, continuing to simmer until sauce thickens (about 1 min.). Season with salt and pepper, stir in the sherry.
9. Pour the sauce over the chicken-vegetables mixture, stir well. Stir in the peas and parsley.
10. Line a 9x13 inch pan with one of the pie crusts. If using ready to bake pie crusts, roll the dough to fit the pan.
11. Pour the chicken mixture into the pan and top with second crust.
12. Bake in preheated oven until pie crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Try one of our fan-favorite chicken recipes:
Click for more Chicken recipes
- Easy Boneless Chicken Recipe
- Crock Pot Chicken Continental
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Ginger Peach Chicken
- Baked Crispy Chicken
- Thyme Chicken Breasts
- Sour Cream and Chicken Enchiladas
- Four to Five Ingredient Chicken Recipes
- Mozzarella Chicken
- Veggie Baked Chicken Breasts
- Pineapple Glazed Chicken
- Chicken and Ziti Casserole
- Honey Baked Chicken
- Zesty Crock Pot Chicken and Vegetables
- Flaky Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
- Portabello Chicken Breasts
- Cheesy Chicken
- Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
- Chicken Salad Recipe
- Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- Chicken Breast Recipe
- Baked Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
- Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Chicken Recipes
- Sweet and Saucy Chicken
- Bourbon Chicken Recipe
- Coca-Cola Chicken
- Chicken Stuffing Casserole
- Potato Chip Chicken Casserole
- Honey Chicken Recipe
- Chicken and Macaroni Spirals
- Zesty Chicken Nacho Bake
- Summertime Chicken
- African Chicken
- Anniversary Chicken Recipe
- Garlic Butter Cheddar Chicken Recipe
- Chicken in Orange Sauce
- Crusty Baked Chicken
- Hearty Homestyle Chicken Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- Olive Oil Garlic Chicken
- Chicken Francaise Recipe
- Chicken Supreme Recipe
- Brazilian Chicken Recipe
- Buttermilk Ranch Chicken Breasts
- Ritzy Chicken
- Skillet Chicken Divine
- Super Quick Chicken Pot Pie
- Italian Chicken and Peppers
- Taco Salsa Chicken Recipe
Food and Recipes Menu
- Food and Recipes
- Dinner Ideas
- Soups - Side Dishes - Salad Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Breakfast Casseroles
- Kids Recipes