Hearty Boston Baked Beans with Slabs of Bacon
2 pounds small dry white beans
12 cups water
1 pound thick-sliced homestyle bacon, each slice cut into thirds
1 cup molasses
3/4 cup finely chopped onions
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 Tablespoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons salt
1. Soak beans in water in uncovered crock pot overnight (or a minimum of 8 hours).
2. After soaking, cover; cook on low for 3 hours. Drain liquid, reserving 1 cup. Remove beans; set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat until hot. Add bacon. Cook and stir 4 to 6 minutes to render fat.
4. Remove bacon pieces with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Transfer bacon to the crock pot.
5. Add reserved 1 cup cooking liquid from the beans, then add the beans and remaining ingredients; stir well to combine and form a smooth sauce.
6. Cover; cook on low 10 to 12 hours or on high 6 to 8 hours.
- Food and Recipes
- Dinner Ideas and Recipes
- 4 to 7 Ingredient Dinner Recipes
- 30 Minute Meals
- Dinner Meal Plans
- Crock Pot Recipes
- Freezer Cooking Recipes
- Easy Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
- Healthy Recipes
- Casserole Recipes
- Mama Shirleys Recipes
- Barbecue Recipes
- Soups - Side Dishes - Salad Recipes
- Dessert Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Breakfast Casseroles
- Kids Recipes
Most Popular Crock Pot Recipes
- Slow Cooker Bacon Ranch Chicken
- Crock Pot Beef Stew Recipe
- Slow Cooker Cowboy Chicken
- Crock Pot Recipes for the Crockpot and Slow Cooker
- Smothered Chicken with Red Potatoes
- Sweet and Sour Crock Pot Chicken
- Basil Garlic Whole Chicken with Vegetables
- Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Farmhouse Chicken and Corn Chowder