At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Baked Macaroni and Cheese with
Smoked Sausage and Applewood Bacon
1 package Smoked Sausage (about 1 pound)
1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2-1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded white or sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
6 thick slices applewood bacon, cooked and crumbled
1. Cut sausage into 1/2″ cubes. Add sausage to a crock pot that has been generously greased with butter.
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, rinse and add to crock pot.
3. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Pour into crock pot.
4. Sprinkle the cheeses and 4 slices of the bacon on top of macaroni mixture, stirring until cheese melted.
5. Sprinkle remaining bacon on top.
6. Cover and cook on low 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.