Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
Love cabbage rolls but don't love all the work involved with preparing them. Use your slow cooker with this simple recipe.
1 large head cabbage
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
¾ cup quick-cooking rice
½ cup chopped green pepper
½ cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 ounce onion soup mix
1½ pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice, such as V8
Salt to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Cook cabbage in boiling water just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls; drain well.
2. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, rice, green pepper, cracker crumbs, egg and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
4. Place about ⅓ cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling. Secure with toothpicks if desired.
5. Place cabbage rolls in a greased 5-quart slow cooker. Pour tomato juice over rolls.
6. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hour. Just before serving, sprinkle with salt and cheese if desired.
Try these similar recipes: