1 stick butter
2 pounds onions, sliced thinly
6 ounces dry sherry
2 quarts beef stock
French bread baguette, sliced
1/2 pound Gruyere cheese, sliced
freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the butter in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until golden brown.
2. Add the sherry and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 5 minutes, add the beef stock then bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
3. Simmer at least 20 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Ladle soup into individual ovenproof soup bowls, then place a slice of French bread into each bowl.
5. Cover each bread slice with slices of Gruyere cheese.
6. Place dishes under broiler and broil until cheese is bubbly and melted. Serve immediately.
Note - If you do not have ovenproof bowls, toast the bread slices with the cheese under the broiler until cheese is bubbly and melted, then place one slice on top of each bowl of soup.
Halloween is the fun holiday, dressing
From budget worksheets to housecleaning schedules (and everything in between),
Use our free meal plans so you don't have to worry about what's for dinner! They're weekly menus; complete meals with side dishes and recipes. All family pleasing dishes even picky kids will love.