If you were to ask ten random people to name three kinds of soup, chances are good that most of them would include French onion in that list. This is one of the most popular and well-known soup varieties around. Every family needs to have a good French onion soup recipe in their repertoire, and this is one of the best.
We don't add any unnecessary ingredients or extra flair here. The focus is on getting a good bowl of French onion soup to your table as painlessly and easily as possible. That's why we're making good use of a slow cooker in this recipe. You will need to do some cooking before throwing the ingredients together in your crock pot, but nothing too hard or time-consuming.
Once in the slow cooker, this soup will need to cook for six to seven hours on low. Once it's done, you'll prepare your bread. The bread for this recipe is really what ties it together. Place some cheese on each slice and pop it under the broiler for a short amount of time, just long enough to get the cheese bubbly.
Each bowl of soup will include one of these bread slices on top. Bread and soup is a popular combination for a reason, and this recipe reinforces that. Nothing will warm and satisfy your family more than a bowl of warm, homemade French onion soup after a long, cold day.
French Onion Soup
¼ cup butter
3 cups onion, sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
4 cups beef broth
¼ cup dry white wine or beef broth
6 slices French bread
6 slices mozzarella cheese
1. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion and cook for 15-20 minutes until soft.
3. Stir in sugar and salt and stir until golden.
4. Add flour, mix well.
5. Combine onion mixture, broth, and wine or broth in a slow cooker.
6. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
7. When ready to serve, top bread slices with cheese and place under broiler until cheese is bubbly.
8. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese bread.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©zi3000/Shutterstock.com.