Typical green beans get a german inspired makeover with doughy spaetzle in this recipe. Light seasonings and tender noodles are easy to make additions that turn boring into brilliant!
3 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup water (or more)
1/4 cup butter
2 cups regular cut green beans, frozen
1. Sift flour, salt and nutmeg together in a bowl.
2. Pour eggs and 1/4 cup water into middle of flour mixture, beat with a wooden spoon.
3. Add more water, enough to make the dough slightly sticky, yet keeping it elastic and stiff.
4. Using a spätzle machine or a colander with medium holes, press the noodles into a large pot full of boiling salted water.
5. Cook noodles in the water about 5 minutes or until they rise to the surface.
6. Lift noodles out and drain on paper towels. Use water for green beans.
7. Cook green beans in boiling water until crisp-tender. Drain.
8. Brown noodles in melted butter over low heat.
9. Combine noodles and cooked green beans, toss well.