Most people have their favorite stuffed green pepper recipe, probably passed down from relatives. Many have never had this dish before and need a simple recipe for their first foray into stuffed green peppers.
This is a true pleaser among stuffed peppers. The cheddar cheese really adds that savory texture and flavor. The Worcestershire sauce contributes its unique blend of ingredients. Don’t forget the rice, a perfect binding agent, make extra rice to serve as a side dish.
4 to 6 large green bell peppers
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 (20 ounce) can whole tomatoes
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cut tops off bell peppers and remove seeds. Parboil in salted, boiling water for 4 minutes. Drain and cool.
2. Brown meat in skillet with onion. Drain oil. Add tomatoes that have been mashed. Add
Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Add rice. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Add Cheddar cheese, stirring until melted and well blended. Stuff mixture into peppers. Top with Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F about 20 minutes or until hot.
If freezing stuffed green peppers, do not bake.
Wrap individually and place in a large freezer bag. Thaw well before baking.