Sweet Potato Puff
3 eggs, separated
¼ lb. butter, softened to room temperature
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup heavy cream
2 TablespoonS sherry
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
½ teaspoon dried ginger
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 Tablespoons ginger jam
1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/3 cup ricotta
1 cup cooked riced sweet potatoes (from about 3 medium sweet potatoes)
Makes 6 to 8 servings
1. Set the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350°F. coat a 1 ½ quart ovenproof glass or china baking dish with vegetable spray or butter.
2. Place egg whites in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Beat until soft speaks form. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add egg yolks and mix thoroughly.
4. Add cream, sherry, salt, pepper, ginger, lemon zest, ginger jam, and grated ginger. Mix until well combined. Add ricotta and sweet potatoes. Fold in reserved egg whites.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake 45 minutes, or until a tester inserted into puff comes out clean. Serve immediately. Puff will deflate a little on standing. Cover any leftover puff with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Warm in low oven before serving.