This Dutch Apple Pie recipe is a wonderful change from standard two crust apple pies. Topped with a cinnamon brown sugar streusel topping, it adds extra flavor to the rich, juicy apple filling.
1 9-inch pie crust (recipe here)
8 crisp, medium apples
4 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Core, peel and slice apples. Place apples and lemon juice in a bowl, mix well.
3. Mix brown sugar, white sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Cut in butter with pastry blender, then add chopped walnuts.
5. Add half the mixture to the apples and mix to coat.
6. Place apple mixture into crust, then evenly sprinkle the rest of the struesel crumbs on top.
7. Put foil around crust. Bake at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes; remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.