What could be more American than a colorful Jello Salad recipe on the 4th of July?
The deep crimson color of the raspberry gelatin, the creamy white mixture of cream cheese and vanilla (and let's not forget the dark cerulean of the blueberries) make this truly an eye-catching patriotic dessert that tastes equally as good as it looks.
Not only reserved for the 4th of July, this dessert makes an impressive statement on any national holiday, like Memorial Day or Labor Day.
2 packages raspberry gelatin powder
2 cups boiling water
1 packet plain gelatin powder
1 cup cold water
1 cup half and half
1 cup sugar
8 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups blueberries (canned)
1. Dissolve 1 package raspberry gelatin in boiling water. Pour into 9 x 13 x 2-inch pan. Chill until firm.
2. Combine packet of unflavored gelatin with cold water; set aside.
3. Mix half and half with sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
4. Add softened cream cheese to the half and half mixture, beat until very smooth.
5. Add vanilla extract and unflavored gelatin mixture to the cream cheese mixture. Stir until gelatin is dissolved.
6. Cool, and then pour over the chilled layer. Chill until firm.
7. Drain blueberry juice into a small bowl, set aside the blueberries. Add enough water to blueberry juice to make 2 cups liquid.
8. Bring the blueberry juice to a boil. Add remaining raspberry gelatin package; stir until dissolved. Cool this mixture then stir in blueberries.
9. Pour this mixture over cheese layer and chill until firm. Decorate with sliced strawberries and a few reserved blueberries if desired.
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!