Cassandra is a stunning and dramatic female baby name. With its blend of graceful consonants and soft vowels, this name has been a popular choice for girls since antiquity. The name remains relevant in popular culture today. Cassandra Eleanor Lang is a popular Marvel Comics heroine, Cassandra “Cassie” Sandsmark is a DC Comics heroine, and Cassandra Anne Spender is an important character on The X-Files. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Cassandra:
Greek: Shining over men, excelling over men
Origin of the name Cassandra:
Cassandra is the English version of the Greek name Kassandra. This name combined the Greek words kekasmai (meaning “to excel” or “to shine”) and ἀner (meaning “men”).
Symbolism of the name Cassandra:
Cassandra derives from a Greek name that means “excelling over men.” In Greek mythology, Cassandra was a Trojan princess and the younger sister of Hector. According to Aeschylus, Cassandra had the gift of prophecy but garnered the disfavor of Apollo after refusing his advances. As a result, Apollo cursed her so that no one would believe her predictions. In Greek culture, the symbols of Cassandra are the whispering snakes that represent accurate predictions of the future.
Style of the name Cassandra:
Gender of the name Cassandra:
Cassandra is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Cassandra:
Number of syllables in the name Cassandra:
Emotion evoked from the name Cassandra:
The name Cassandra evokes feelings of caring and cordiality.
Alternative spellings for the name Cassandra:
Nicknames for the name Cassandra:
Popularity of the name Cassandra:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Cassandra was the 650th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Cassandra:
Great middle names for Cassandra and their meanings:
- Ayn (grace, favor)
- Bryn (hill, mound)
- Eliora (God is my light)
- Fawn (deer)
- Irene (peace)
- Lois (most desirable)
- Mae (pearl)
- Merit (deserving, worthy)
- Sloane (warrior)
- Zosime (viable, survivor)
Famous people with the name Cassandra:
- Cassandra Elizabeth Austen (sister of Jane Austen)
- Cassandra Jade Estevez (daughter of Charlie Sheen)
- Cassandra Lynn Hensley (model)
- Cassandra “Casey” Lynn Marino (television personality)
- Cassandra Lee Morris (voice actress)
- Cassandra Lily “Cassie” Patte (Olympic swimmer)
- Cassandra Elvira Peterson (television personality)
- Cassandra Rae “Cassie” Steele (actress)
- Cassandra Jean Whitehead (pageant winner)
Cassandra in popular culture:
- Cassandra “Cassie” Ainsworth (character in the television show Skins)
- Cassandra Anneliese Antoinette (main character in The Rovarc)
- Cassandra Eleanor “Cassie” Lang (Marvel Comics heroine)
- Cassandra “Cassie” Sandsmark (DC Comics heroine)
- Cassandra Anne Spender (character in The X-Files)
- Cassandra Trelawney (ancestor of Sybill Trelawney in the Harry Potter series)
- Cassandra Louise Trotter (character in the British sitcom Only Fools and Horses)
- Cassie Layne Winslow (character in the soap opera Guiding Light)