Eartha is a sweet and soulful baby name for girls. First popularized in Puritan New England, this name later became a staple of 20th-century culture. Eartha Brute was a main character in the Carmen Sandiego series, and Eartha Rayne Thomas is the name of a character in the Us franchise. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Eartha:
Old English, Gothic: Earth, world, globe
Origin of the name Eartha:
Eartha is a feminine name that means “earth.” First recorded in Old English as the word “eorthe,” it later became the Middle English “erthe” before finally evolving into the modern word. The English version is a cognate of the German word Erde and the Gothic term Airtha.
Symbolism of the name Eartha:
Eartha is a feminine English name that means “earth.” It arose in popularity as a Puritan name during the 17th century and remained common throughout the 19th century. The Puritans used this name as a tribute to God's sovereignty as depicted in Psalms 24: 1. By the 20th century, the symbol of the earth became synonymous with the blue globe.
Style of the name Eartha:
Gender of the name Eartha:
Eartha is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Eartha:
Number of syllables in the name Eartha:
Emotion evoked from the name Eartha:
The name Eartha evokes feelings of earnestness and endurance.
Alternative spellings for the name Eartha:
Nicknames for the name Eartha:
Popularity of the name Eartha:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Eartha was the 14,968th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Eartha:
Great middle names for Eartha and their meanings:
- Amity (friendship, harmony, congeniality)
- Brielle (strength)
- Carmen (song, garden, truth, poetry)
- Debbie (bee)
- Dulcie (sweet)
- Faith (trust, confidence, belief)
- Folami (honor, respect, regard)
- Jovie (joyful, youthful, happy)
- Kelly (bright-haired warrior)
- Peyton (fighting man's estate)
- Zara (brilliant, radiant, blooming flower)
Famous people with the name Eartha:
- Eartha Glass (biographer)
- Eartha Watts Hicks (writer)
- Eartha Mae Kitt (actress and singer)
- Eartha Moore (singer)
- Eartha Robinson (actress)
- Eartha Street (poet)
- Eartha Mary Magdalene White (philanthropist)
Eartha in popular culture:
- Eartha Brute (character in the Carmen Sandiego series)
- Eartha Quicksmith (protagonist of The Ten Riddles of Eartha Quicksmith by Loris Owen)
- Eartha Rayne Thomas (character in the Us franchise)