Amity is a virtue name that comes from England. It is not near as popular as other options like Faith and Grace, for example, but it is just as beautiful. It means “friendship” and comes from the Latin word “amicitia.”
Meaning of the name Amity:
Latin: friendship, harmony
Origin of the name Amity:
Amity originated as a given name in England. It came from the Latin word “amicitia.” Amity became popular at the time of giving out virtue names. Other similar options include Hope, Grace, Faith, and Joy.
Symbolism of the name Amity:
Amity comes from the Latin word “amicitia.” Remember, “amicitia” translates directly to “friendship.” Other similar meanings include “harmony,” as provided.
Style of the name Amity:
Gender of the name Amity:
Amity is a refined name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Amity:
Number of syllables in the name Amity:
Emotion evoked from the name Amity:
Amity is a noble and refined name. It is wholesome and upper-class.
Alternative spellings for the name Amity:
Nicknames for the name Amity:
Popularity of the name Amity:
Amity has no records on the top 1,000 list of the Social Security Popularity Index. As of 2021, it was a top 7,500 option. Specifically, Amity was at rank 7,492 for girls in America.
Related names for the name Amity:
Great middle names for Amity and their meanings:
- Mabel (lovable, dear)
- Florence (blossoming, flourishing, prosperous)
- Soleil (sun)
- Elizabeth (God is my oath, my God is bountiful)
- Constance (steadfastness, constancy)
- Lenore (light)
- Lucia (light)
- Irene (peace)
Famous people with the name Amity:
- Amity Shlaes (libertarian author, journalist)
Amitys in popular culture:
- Amity (character from “Sharp Objects”)
- Amity (a name of a faction from the “Divergent” series)
- “Amity” (a name of a song made by Elliott Smith)
- Amity (a name of a town in New York)
- Amity Island (the setting for “Jaws”)
- Amity Square (location in “Pokemon” games)