Irma is a baby girl’s name of German origin. It means “universal, complete, whole” and relates to the name Emma. Irma is a name with staying power as it was in the top 1000 baby names for most of the 20th century and only dropped out of the top 500 in the late 1970s.
Meaning of the name Irma:
German: universal, complete, whole
Origin of the name Irma:
Irma is a German baby girl’s name that means “universal, complete, whole”. It is also a diminutive for many German girl names. Irma is related to the name Emma.
Symbolism of the name Irma:
Irma has a namesake in the Irma Plumeria, a type of deep red flower. Plumeria symbolizes new beginnings, birth, creation, beauty, and grace.
Style of the name Irma:
Gender of the name Irma:
Irma is a girl's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Irma:
IR-ma (German), UR-mə (English), EER-mah (Finnish), EER-ma (Spanish), EER-maw (Hungarian)
Number of syllables in the name Irma:
Emotion evoked from the name Irma:
Irma evokes feelings of beauty and grace.
Alternative spellings for the name Irma:
Erma, Irmma, Ermma
Nicknames for the name Irma:
Popularity of the name Irma:
According to the Social Security Administration, Irma is a popular baby girl’s name. Irma was in the top 1000 baby names from 1900 to 1995. It peaked at #137 in 1911.
Related names for the name Irma:
Great middle names for the name Irma and their meanings:
- Mavis (songbird)
- Sybil (prophetess)
- Constance (steadfastness)
- Verity (truth)
- Seren (serene, star, mast)
- Eden (place of pleasure, delight)
- Temperance (restraint)
- Margot (pearl)
Famous people with the name Irma:
- Irma Pany (French singer-songwriter)
- Irma Achten (Dutch filmmaker & writer)
- Irma Santonil Adlawan (Filipina film actress)
- Irma Baltuttis (German singer)
- Irma Capece Minutolo (Italian former opera singer)
Irma in popular culture:
- Irma Barlow (television, “Coronation Street”)
- Irma Bunt (film, “On Her Majesty's Secret Service”)
- Irma Lair (television, “W.I.T.C.H.”)
- Irma (comics, “Garfield”)
- Irma Peterson (film, “My Friend Irma”)