Judy is a gem of a name that means “praised.” However, the name's association with Judy Garland makes it a symbol of wholesome glamour. Keep reading to learn more about what makes Judy such a classic name.
Meaning of the name Judy:
- Hebrew: Woman from Judea, praised
Origin of the name Judy:
Hebrew. Judy is derived from the name Judith that means “woman from Judea.” In the bible, Judith was a beautiful woman who exacted revenge on an invading general.
Symbolism of the name Judy:
Judy is a symbol of being a chosen woman. The name's association with Judea makes it an inherently spiritual name.
Style of the name Judy:
Gender of the name Judy:
Judy is considered the female variation of Judea.
Pronunciation of the name Judy:
Syllables in the name Judy:
Emotion evoked from the name Judy:
The name Judy is classically elegant. It also has a very youthful twist.
Alternative spellings for the name Judy:
Joody, Juda, Judi.
Nicknames for the name Judy:
JoJo, Juji, JuJU.
Popularity of the name Judy:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Judy ranked on the list of the top 1,000 baby names every year from 1902 to 1998. While Judy peaked at #11 in 1946, the name enjoyed a full two decades of staying in the single digits.
Related names for the name Judy:
Great middle names for Judy and their meanings:
- Evangeline (gospel)
- Helena (shining light)
- Iris (woman of the rainbow)
- Isabella (God is my oath)
- Margot (pearl)
- Michelle (who resembles God)
- Nicoletta (people of victory)
- Talia (dew of God)
- Troyann (warrior)
Famous people with the name Judy:
- Judy Bloom (author)
- Judy Collins (singer and songwriter)
- Judge Judy (television personality)
- Judy Garland (classic American actress and singer)
- Judy Greer (actress)
- Judy Holliday (classic Broadway and Hollywood actress)
Judys in movies/pop culture:
- Judy (character in the movie “My Girl”)
- Judy Gellar (character in the television show “Friends”)
- Judy Hopps (character in the movie “Zootopia”)
- Judy Jetson (character in “The Jetsons”)
- Judy Shepherd (character played by Kirsten Dunst in “Jumanji”)
- Judy Moody (star of a book series of the same title)