These burgers are bursting with so much flavor, you don’t need a bun. Italian sausage gets mixed with plain ground beef for a fantastic new twist on plain burgers. Added to that is cheese and roasted peppers stuffed into the middle of each hamburger. You’ll be glad you didn’t cover up this flavor explosion with a bun.
2 pounds lean ground beef
8 ounces mild or hot bulk Italian sausage
12 1-inch pieces bottled roasted red sweet peppers
3 ounces Parmesan cheese, cut into 1-¼-inch slices
Salt and black pepper
6 pear or cherry tomatoes (optional)
1. In large bowl mix ground beef and sausage.
2. Shape mixture into 12 balls.
3. On waxed paper, pat each ball into 4 inch round patties.
4. Place a piece of roasted red pepper in the center of 6 of the patties.
5. Top with Parmesan cheese slices.
6. Put the remaining roasted red pepper on top of the Parmesan cheese.
7. Top with the remaining 6 beef patties.
8. Press gently to seal edges.
9. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
10. For charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Place burgers on grill rack over drip pan. For gas grill, preheat grill, reduce heat to medium.
11. Cover and grill for 18 to 22 minutes or until patties are done (turning once half way through grilling).
12. Serve each burger between lettuce leaves.
13. Use toothpick to attach a tomato to each patty (optional).