Last Updated on
Hot Potato Salad with Bacon Recipe
If the thought of cold, mayonnaise based potato salad doesn’t appeal to you, try this hot potato salad recipe instead. It’s perfect for the time of year when the mercury drops. Although the addition of bacon may not be the healthiest alternative, it sure adds a lot of aroma and flavor.
As with many other salads, if desired, throw in your own ingredients. Some suggestions include, but are in no way limited to, red peppers, sun dried tomatoes and broccoli.
6 potatoes, 2 pounds
1 cup chopped onions
3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2/3 cup vinegar
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/3 cup salad oil
bacon, cooked to crisp
1. Scrub potatoes and cook with skin on in enough water to cover. Cover pan and cook until tender, about 25-30 minutes. Drain potatoes and shake pan over low heat to dry potatoes. Peel and cut into approximately 1/4-inch pieces.
2. Place in a large bowl and toss with the 1 cup chopped onions, chopped parsley, salt and black pepper.
3. Combine 2/3 cup vinegar, 1/3 cup water and 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar in a small pan; heat to boiling.
4. Place the egg into a small bowl and beat slightly with a wire whisk. Continue beating while slowly pouring in the vinegar mixture. Slowly pour in the salad oil, whisking constantly.
5. Immediately pour this mixture over the warm potatoes and stir to coat evenly. Place the potatoes into a large skillet over low heat until heated throughout. Cook the bacon until crisp; drain, crumble and sprinkle over potatoes. Serve immediately.