At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe
Kentucky Fried Chicken may not seem to be a leader in fine cuisine, but when it comes to fried chicken, they definitely seem to have it going on. That may be why so many strive to emulate the dish in their own recipes.
No one is really sure why Kentucky Fried Chicken is so addictingly good. Many cite the 11 herbs and spices while some say MSG is the kicker. While MSG may not have the best reputation, the small amount you use in home cooking is relatively harmless.
Another factor contributing to the chicken’s great taste is the fact it is cooked in a pressure cooker. This lets the chicken cook faster with less oil while locking in moisture.
Some other factors that may play a part in giving the chicken its great taste include its semi-emulsified crust that really carries the flavor and blends well with the chicken. It could also be the aroma of the chicken that makes it so mouthwateringly good or the use of peperine which can release anti-depressants in the brain.
This recipe is a fantastic copycat of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Juicy and filled with flavor from the perfect blend of herbs and spices, you’ll save yourself a lot of money by cooking this at home.
Cooking with a pressure cooker helps infuse the chicken with the seasonings throughout each and every piece. This method also seals in the juices, so you’ll get the same high quality juicy tender chicken as you would at a KFC restaurant.
Serve with the KFC coleslaw recipe that can also be found on this site and corn on the cob and you’ve got yourself a feast the Colonel himself would be proud of (at a fraction of the cost)! Try serving it to your family tonight!
Kentucky Fried Chicken
2 fryer chickens, cut up into 8 pieces and marinated
6 cups Crisco shortening
1 egg, well beaten
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground pepper
3 Tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon msg * see below why you can safely use this tiny amount of msg
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 dash paprika
1. Place shortening into the pressure cooker and heat over medium heat to the shortening reaches 400°F.
2. In a small bowl, combine the egg and milk.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining six dry ingredients.
4. Dip each piece of chicken into the milk until fully moistened.
5. Roll the moistened chicken in the flour mixture until well coated.
6. In groups of four or five, drop the covered chicken pieces into the shortening and lock the lid.
7. When pressure builds up cook for 10 minutes.
8. Release the lid according to the pressure cooker manufacturer’s instructions.
9. Remove the chicken , drain on paper towels and serve hot.
* Below is just one example of what we have found regarding the use of msg, but we felt that Sam put it best when he said:
Voted the Best Answer!
Try one of our fan-favorite chicken recipes:
Click for more Chicken recipes