At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1 large green pepper, chopped
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1¾ cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium carrot, shredded
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (14½ ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
1 bay leaf
3 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried basil
¼ teaspoon pepper
9 ounces uncooked spaghetti
Additional shredded carrot, optional
1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken in 2 teaspoons oil; drain. Remove and keep warm.
2. In the same skillet, sauté the green pepper, celery, and onion in remaining oil for 3 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms, carrot, and garlic; sauté 2-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
4. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until thickened.
5. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
6. Stir chicken into tomato mixture; cook for 8-12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Discard bay leaf.
7. Drain spaghetti; serve with chicken mixture. Garnish with additional carrot if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
1⅓ cups chicken mixture with ⅔ cup spaghetti equals:
6 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
63 mg cholesterol
968 mg sodium
52 g carbohydrate
5 g fiber
33 g protein