Sloppy Joe Kiddie Cars
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 pounds lean ground beef
26 ounces (1 large jar) Italian style pasta sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons dill pickle relish
8 long hoagie rolls
Ingredients for Race Car Parts:
mini pretzel twists for steering wheel
cucumber slices for wheels attached with thin pretzels
radish for driver’s head with ends of black olives for eyes, tootpicks to secure eyes
thinly sliced carrot sticks for arms
sliced black olives and thinly sliced carrot rounds (with a tiny hole poked through each slice) for headlights
1. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes or until tender.
2. Add ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink.
3. Stir in pasta sauce, brown sugar and dill relish.
4. Combine ingredients well, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
5. While beef mixture is cooking, cut or pull out a 5×2-inch center well (car interior) in top of rolls, removing some bread.
6. To serve, evenly fill rolls with sloppy joe mixture.
7. To assemble car, place wheels on each end of roll with pretzel sticks. Place radish at front of car interior.
8. Place black olive eyes onto radish, securing with toothpicks.
9. Place mini pretzel twist in front of radish for steering wheel, place one thin carrot slice on each side of steering wheel.
10. Place carrot rounds in front of roll for headlights, secured with pretzel sticks, leaving enough pretzel stick to place olive slice on end.