Last Updated on
Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet potato casserole is one of those Thanksgiving dinner traditions that sometimes gets more attention than the turkey itself. This sinfully delicious sweet potato casserole recipe is filled with fluffy sweet potatoes on the inside and a crunchy pecan topping.
Sweet potato casserole is the perfect side dish for turkey, ham, or any other light meat. This recipe is very adaptable, you can add more vanilla or cinnamon for your own tastes, you can also substitute the light brown sugar for dark brown sugar. The taste will be richer without being sweeter. If you really want to up your sweet potato casserole game, try dark muscovado sugar (Amazon sells it). Once you go muscovado in your sweet potato casserole, you may never go back to regular brown sugar.
No matter how you make this recipe, either following it exactly or making adjustments for your own flavor preferences, it’s a definite side dish superstar that won’t leave you with leftovers.
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup melted butter
1/3 cup light cream
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup butter, melted
1. Mix casserole ingredients together, beating well until smooth.
2. Place into greased 2 quart casserole dish.
3. Combine brown sugar and flour for topping, being sure to smooth any lumps.
4. Add pecans and butter to topping mixture. Pour topping evenly over top of sweet potatoes in casserole dish.
5. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 25 to 35 minutes. Serves 8.