Mexican Shepherds Pie
Oven Warmed Tortilla Chips
Traditional shepherd's pie is comfort food at it's finest, but when it gets a spice filled, cheese topped makeover it becomes comfort that's off the charts. Mexican Shepherd's Pie is a completely different flavor that makes a nice change from the usual fare.
Mexican Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients:
1 package (6.6 ounces) instant home-style mashed potatoes
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (14½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
1 can (2¼ ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
1 envelope taco seasoning
1½ teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1. Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
3. Add the tomatoes, corn, olives, taco seasoning, chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
4. Transfer to a greased 2½ quart baking dish. Top with ¾ cup cheese.
5. Spread mashed potatoes over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
7. Serve with warmed tortilla chips.