At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Mexican Shepherds Pie
Oven Warmed Tortilla Chips
Traditional shepherd’s pie is comfort food at it’s finest, but when it gets a spice filled, cheese topped makeover it becomes comfort that’s off the charts. Mexican Shepherd’s Pie is a completely different flavor that makes a nice change from the usual fare.
Mexican Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients:
1 package (6.6 ounces) instant home-style mashed potatoes
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (14½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
1 can (2¼ ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
1 envelope taco seasoning
1½ teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1. Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
3. Add the tomatoes, corn, olives, taco seasoning, chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
4. Transfer to a greased 2½ quart baking dish. Top with ¾ cup cheese.
5. Spread mashed potatoes over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
7. Serve with warmed tortilla chips.