Broccoli Chicken Noodle Bake
3 cups cubed chicken breast
4 cups uncooked egg noodles
1 medium onion, chopped
4 teaspoons butter
5 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 can (14½ ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup fat-free milk
3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1. Cook noodles according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat, cook chicken until cooked through. Remove from pan but keep warm.
3. In same pan, cook onion in butter until tender.
4. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper until blended.
5. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
5. Remove from the heat. Drain noodles; place in a 13x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in 1 cup sauce. Layer with the chicken, broccoli, and remaining sauce.
6. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Yield: 6 servings
1 cup equals:
10 g fat (5 g saturated fat)
102 mg cholesterol
601 mg sodium
33 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
34 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat