Family Meal Plans
In the third week of healthy dinner recipes we include meals that will take you on a trip around the world, from curried noodles to beefy enchiladas. It’s a nice vacation for your taste buds with out leaving your home.
CURRIED NOODLES & SHRIMP
Curried Noodles and Shrimp Stir-Fry
Makes 4 servings
Each serving of shrimp stir fry with curried noodles contains:
12g total fat
2 Tablespoons canola or grape seed oil
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 small red bell pepper, sliced
1 pound fresh or thawed frozen small peeled and deveined shrimp
2 teaspoons curry powder
½ teaspoon salt
8 ounces cellophane or rice-stick noodles, soaked as package label directs, rinsed and drained
3 cups fresh bean sprouts, root ends trimmed and discarded, rinsed
2 green onions, cut in half lengthwise and cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
1 egg, beaten
1. Grease a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1 Tablespoon oil and heat until hot but not smoking, and add the yellow onion and bell pepper and stir fry until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and stir fry until pink, about 2 minutes. Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl.
2. Heat the remaining Tablespoon of oil in the skillet and add the curry powder and salt. Stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the noodles, bean sprouts, and green onions and toss to coat with the curry oil. Drizzle the egg over the mixture and toss occasionally to spread the egg while it cooks through the mixture. Serve immediately.
Beefy Enchiladas Recipe:
Makes 4 servings
Each serving of beefy enchiladas contains:
14g total fat
½ cup no salt added tomato sauce
½ cup salsa
8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
8 ounces lean ground beef
1 cup canned fat free refried beans
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
1.Combine the tomato sauce and salsa in a small bowl, mix well, and brush on both sides of the tortilla, using about half the mixture. Stack the tortillas on a plate and set aside to soften, about 10 minutes.
2. Cook the beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the meat into a colander set over a bowl, drain, and rinse under hot water. Drain well.
3. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel and return the beef to the pan. Stir in the refried beans, chili powder, cumin, and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through, about 2 minutes.
4. Preheat the broiler, Spoon about ¼ cup of the mixture down the center of the each tortilla. Roll up the tortillas and place, seam down, in a 9 inch square cake pan (2 inches deep) or a 10x6x2 inch baking pan or tempered glass baking dish.
5. Top with the remaining tomato sauce mixture. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 5 minutes, or until browned. Sprinkle with the cheese.
6. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving with a side of Spanish rice.
Makes 4 servings
Each serving of pasta less manicotti contains:
4g total fat
1 (6 ounce) can no salt added tomato paste
1 cup water
1 garlic clove, crushed through a press
1 ¾ teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning mix, crushed
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 (4 ounce) chicken breasts cutlets, rinsed and patted dry
1 cup (4 ounces) low-fat cottage cheese, drained
½ cup (2 ounces) grated part skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the tomato paste, water, garlic, 1 teaspoon seasoning mix, and the pepper in a small saucepan and whisk to bend. Heat to boiling over medium heat and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
2. Place the chicken cutlets in a zip-top plastic bag and pound to ¼ inch thickness using a rolling pin or meat mallet. Lay out flat on a cutting board.
3. Spoon half of the tomato sauce into a 10x6 inch baking dish to coat the bottom of the dish.
4. Combine the cottage cheese and remaining ¾ teaspoon seasoning mix in a bowl and spoon the mixture onto the centers of the chicken breasts, leaving a ½ inch edge all around.
5. Roll up each breast jelly-roll fashion, from a narrow end, and arrange the chicken rolls, seam-side down, on top of the sauce dish. Spoon the remaining tomato sauce over the chicken rolls, sprinkle with mozzarella, and bake until hot and bubbling, 45 minutes.
6. Let cool and serve with a nice green side salad.
GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Recipe:
Makes 2 servings
Each serving of grilled cheese contains:
11g total fat
4 slices soft textured whole grain bread
4 ounces sliced low fat Monterrey jack cheese or part skim mozzarella cheese
¼ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place 2 slices of bread on work surface and arrange half the cheese on top of each. Top with cilantro, and season with pepper to taste. Cover with the remaining bread slices.
2. Grease a large nonstick skillet with butter flavored nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
3. Add the sandwiches and cook until the bread is golden brown on the bottom, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Turn over the sandwiches and cook 2 minutes more, or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese melts. Serve hot with a steamy bowl of tomato soup.
PEPPER CRUSTED FLANK STEAK WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE
Pepper-crusted Flank Steak with Mushroom Sauce Recipe
Makes 4 servings
Each serving of the pepper-crusted flank steak with mushroom sauce contains:
10g total fat
1 (1 pound) flank steak
2 teaspoons coarsely cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons coarsely cracked green peppercorns ( not in brine)
2 green onions, sliced
1 small garlic clove, crushed through a press
1 cup slice mushrooms
½ cup low sodium beef broth
½ cup fat free sour cream
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1. Preheat the broiler. Score 6 shallow slashes on each side of the meat in a crisscross fashion (three slashes in each direction) and rub the cracked peppers onto each side of the meat.
2. Place the steak on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and broil 3 to 5 inches from the heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and broil until desired doneness, about 4 minutes more for medium.
3. Meanwhile, grease a medium nonstick skillet with a nonstick cooking spray and heat until hot over medium heat. Add the green onions, garlic, and mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms are just tender, about 5 minutes Stir in the broth and heat to boiling.
4. Mix the sour cream and mustard in a cup and add a few spoonfuls of the mushrooms-broth mixture. Stir until blended and pour into the pan. Keep warm over low heat (do not boil).
3. Slice the steak diagonally across the grain. Serve with the mustard sauce and a side of green beans.
CREAMY CHILI CORN CHICKEN
Creamy Chili Corn Chicken Recipe:
Makes 6 servings
Each serving of creamy chili-corn chicken contains:
22g total fat
2 egg whites
2 Tablespoons water
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
6 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
½ cup cornmeal
¼ cup corn oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 (4 ounce) jars chopped green chiles
1 (15 ounce) can Mexican style corn or 1 cup cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
2 cups queso fresco or low fat plain yogurt
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine the egg whites, water, salt, and chili powder in a large bowl and whisk until frothy. Cut each chicken breast cross wise into 4 strips and add to the bowl with the egg whites. Toss to coat.
2. Place the cornmeal in a zip-top plastic bag. Add one-third of the chicken strips, seal, and shake to coat. Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken.
3. Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken on both sides in batches, 4 minutes each batch, adding more oil as needed. Remove the chicken to a paper towel lined baking sheet as it browns. Add the onion and sauté until soft, 5 minutes.
4. Spoon off the oil from the pan. Add the chilies and their juices and heat until boiling. Add the corn and any juices and heat through. Add the chicken and stir in the quest fresco. Heat to simmering but do not boil.
5. Stir in the cilantro. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes.
Mushroom Pizza Recipe:
Makes 4 servings
Each serving of mushroom pizza contains:
5g total fat
1 (10 ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
1 teaspoon salt-free Italian herb seasoning mix
½ cup no-salt added canned diced tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
1 ¼ cup (4 ounces) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Unroll the pizza dough, place it on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and press the dough into a 14x10 inch rectangle.
2. Sprinkle the dough with the seasoning mix and bake 7 minutes.
3. Spread the tomatoes over the crust and spread the mushrooms on top. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake until the crust is crisp and the cheese melts, about 6 minutes longer.
4. Let stand for one minute and serve with a Caesar side salad.