Healthy Mock-Southern Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup skim milk
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canned evaporated skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked, mashed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To prepare crust:
2. Combine flour and sugar in bowl.
3. Add milk and oil to flour mixture.
4. Stir with fork until well mixed. Then form pastry into smooth ball with your hands.
5. Roll ball between two, 12-inch squares of waxed paper, using short, brisk strokes, until pastry reaches edge of paper.
6. Peel off top paper and invert crust into 9-inch pie plate.
To prepare filling:
7. Combine sugars, salt, nutmeg, and eggs.
8. Add milk and vanilla. Stir.
9. Add sweet potatoes and mix well.
Putting it together:
10. Pour mixture into pie shell.
11. Bake for 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool and cut into 16 slices.
Yield: 16 servings Serving size: 1 slice
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 3 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 40 mg
Sodium: 98 mg
Total fiber: 2 g
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Potassium: 293 mg