Mexican Stuffed Shells Ingredients:
24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
1 pound lean ground beef
1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup frozen corn
½ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese or cheddar cheese
8 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
8 tablespoons salsa
¼ cup sliced black olives
¼ cup sliced green onions
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Cook pasta shells according to package directions; drain.
3. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
4. Stir in salsa, tomato sauce, corn, and beans.
5. Spoon beef mixture into pasta shells and place in a 13x9 baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
6. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Top with sour cream, salsa,, olives, and onions.
Per 4 shells serving
Total Fat: 9 g
Sat: 5 g
Protein: 22 g
Carb: 33 g
Fiber: 2 g
Cholesterol: 43 mg
Sodium: 696 mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
Quinoa with Corn and Jalapenos Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, minced
Salt and pepper
1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 ¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, and minced
2 cups frozen corn
1 tomato, cored, seeded, and chopped small
¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons lime juice
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion and ¼ teaspoon salt, cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the quinoa. Increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until quinoa is lightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the broth and jalapenos and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and continue to simmer until the quinoa is transparent and tender, 16 to 18 minutes.
4. Remove the pot from the heat and mix in frozen corn. Recover and let sit for 10 minutes, then fluff the quinoa with a fork. Stir in tomato, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Per ¾ cup serving
Total Fat: 5 g
Sat: 0 g
Protein: 7 g
Carb: 32 g
Fiber: 4 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 220 mg
Halloween is the fun holiday, dressing
From budget worksheets to housecleaning schedules (and everything in between),