12 ounces rotini pasta (about 4½ cups)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 onion, minced
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound ground beef
½ pound bulk mild Italian sausage
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2½ cups shredded Italian cheese blend
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish.
2. Bring 4 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil in a large pot.
3. Add the pasta and cook, stirring often, until just al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
4. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
5. Add the celery, onion, bell pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened (5 to 7 minutes).
6. Stir in the garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
7. Add the beef and sausage, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook, breaking up any large clumps with a wooden spoon until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
8. Stir in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, bring to a simmer, and cook until the flavors are blended, about 3 minutes.
9. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
10. Sprinkle 1¼ cups of the Italian cheese blend evenly over the pasta. Pour the meat mixture over the pasta and cheese. Sprinkle the remaining 1¼ cups of the cheese evenly over the meat mixture.
11. Place the baking dish on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Cover dish with heavy aluminum foil.
12. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes; until the sauce is bubbling. Remove the foil and bake an additional 8 minutes until the top is slightly browned. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Halloween is the fun holiday, dressing
From budget worksheets to housecleaning schedules (and everything in between),
Use our free meal plans so you don't have to worry about what's for dinner! They're weekly menus; complete meals with side dishes and recipes. All family pleasing dishes even picky kids will love.