1 ½ cups chopped cooked chicken
1 can (10 ¾ ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup or homemade condensed cheddar cheese soup (recipe below)
½ cup milk (use even if you are using homemade soup)
Dash ground pepper
2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli cuts, cooked and drained
1 can (2.8 ounces) French fried onions
1. Stir the cooked chicken, soup, milk, pepper, broccoli and 2/3 cup of the onions into a 1 ½ quart casserole. Cover.
2. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes until hot. Stir the mixture.
3. Sprinkle the remaining onions over the mixture.
4. Bake for 5 minutes more until the onions are golden. Makes 6 servings.
Makes the equivalent of one can (10 ¾ ounces) of condensed cheddar cheese soup
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup whole milk
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan on low heat.
2. Gradually add flour and whisk constantly until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
3. Slowly add milk, whisking to maintain smoothness.
4. Cook this mixture over low heat until thickened, whisking as it cooks (about 5-7 minutes).
5. Add the cheese and stir until smooth and well blended.