Overstuffed Peppers Mexican-Style
10 ounces 95% lean ground beef
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
4 ounces chopped mild green chiles
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 cup tomato sauce, divided
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 large green bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and stemmed
2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
corn tortilla chips for serving
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Brown beef 6 to 8 minutes in large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to break up meat. Drain fat.
3. Add onion, chiles, corn, 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce, cornmeal, salt and cumin; mix well.
4. Arrange pepper halves, cut side up, in 12×8-inch baking pan. Spoon beef mixture evenly into each pepper half.
5. Spoon remaining 1/4 cup tomato sauce over beef mixture.
6. Bake about 25 minutes or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Serve with tortilla chips on the side.