8 to 10 cloves garlic, peeled
1 cup olive oil
4 russet potatoes
2 Tablespoons butter
⅓ to ½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup Asiago cheese, grated
2 Tablespoon Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Put the garlic and olive oil in a heavy saucepan over lowest possible heat and simmer until soft; 30 to 40 minutes.
2. Drain off oil (reserve for marinades or vinaigrettes).
3. Puree garlic; set aside.
4. Meanwhile, prick potatoes with a fork and bake in a 400°F oven for 1 hour, or until soft. While still hot, peel and mash, or pass through a potato ricer.
5. Melt butter in heavy cream; whisk in puréed garlic.
6. Stir into potatoes.
7. Stir in cheeses and season with salt and pepper.
8. Spoon into a gratin dish.
9. Place in a 400°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until browned and bubbling.