When you hear Hilton, you may first think of the brand or family with the same name. Hilton is much older than that, however, dating back to the Middle Ages when it was a surname in England. Though not on the top 1,000 list since 1964, Hilton remains a valuable option for a unisex and unique baby name.
Meaning of the name Hilton:
English: hill settlement
Origin of the name Hilton:
The baby name Hilton originated as a surname in England. It came from the Old English words “hyll” and “tun.” It was a last name regarded for families living among places with similar names to Hilton. The use of Hilton as a first name is more modern.
Symbolism of the name Hilton:
The word “hyll” that creates the first part of this baby name means “hill.” the word “tun” means “settlement,” “enclosure,” or “town.” Together, the meaning of Hilton becomes “hill settlement.”
Style of the name Hilton:
Gender of the name Hilton:
Hilton is a trendy baby name for boys or girls, though slightly more popular for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Hilton:
Number of syllables in the name Hilton:
Emotion evoked from the name Hilton:
Hilton feels arrogant and upper class. It is a strong baby name for boys or girls.
Alternative spellings for the name Hilton:
Nicknames for the name Hilton:
Popularity of the name Hilton:
Hilton was a top 1,000 baby name in America until 1964 when it was rank 971. The baby name only made it to the top 500 list for one year. That high ranking was in 1905 when Hilton was number 498.
Related names for the name Hilton:
Great middle names for Hilton and their meanings:
- Aurick (protecting ruler, noble leader)
- Daniel (God is my judge)
- Gavin (white hawk)
- Jerrod (rules by the spear)
- Pauline (humble, small)
- Claire (clear, bright)
- Marianna (star of the sea)
- Ida (industrious, prosperous)
Famous people with the name Hilton:
- Hilton Armstrong (NBA player)
- Hilton Edwards (actor, “Othello”)
- Hilton Jefferson (saxophonist)
- Hilton McRae (actor, “King of the Wind”)
- Hilton Kramer (art critic)
- Hilton Valentine (guitarist from The Animals)
- Hilton Ruiz (jazz pianist)
Hiltons in popular culture:
- Hilton Hotels (brand owned by the Hilton family)
- Hilton Collesium (sports arena at Iowa State University)