Louie is a charming classic baby name for boys. With its unique combination of French and German elements, this name has undergone a major revival as a 21st century favorite. Louie is the name of a beloved character in the DuckTales series, and Louie was also the king in the Jungle Book series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning and Origin of the name Louie:
Louie is a cute name for boys of Germanic and French origins meaning “famous warrior.”
Louie is a diminutive of Louis. This name evolved from the French name Ludovicus. The French name is a Latin form of the German name Ludwig. Ultimately, the German name derives from the Germanic elements hlud (meaning “famous”) and wig (meaning “battle”).
Symbolism of the name Louie:
Louie is the short form of Louis. This name derives from the Germanic name Ludwig (meaning “famous warrior”). The Old Germanic symbol of the warrior is the valknut.
Style of the name Louie:
Gender of the name Louie:
Louie is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Louie:
Number of syllables in the name Louie:
Emotion evoked from the name Louie:
The name Louie evokes feelings of bravery and boldness.
Alternative spellings for the name Louie:
Nicknames for the name Louie:
Louie is a name with very few nicknames. If you're looking for a name for your baby boy that has many options for nicknames, you might want to look at some other names. The most common nickname for Louie is Lou. Below is a very short list of nicknames for Louie.
- Lou Lou
Popularity of the name Louie:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Louie was the 771st most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Louie:
Great middle names for Louie and their meanings:
- Atlas (bearer of heaven, carrying, enduring)
- Bernardo (strong, hardy, brave as a bear)
- Carlos (free man, strong, virile, petite)
- Emmerich (universal ruler)
- Herbert (bright army, illustrious warrior)
- Johannes (God is gracious)
- Koen (brave counsel, priest)
- Rolfe (famous wolf)
- Rian (little king)
- Sigmund (victorious protector)
- Vincent (conquering)
- Zechariah (God remembers)
Famous people with the name Louie:
- Louie Anderson (comedian)
- Louie Armstrong (trumpeter)
- Louie Bellson (jazz drummer)
- Louie Broady Nunn (politician)
- Louie Ramirez (percussionist)
- Louie Richardson (football player)
- Louie Spence (dancer)
- Louie Myfanwy Thomas (writer)
- Louie Tomlinson (singer)
- Louie Silvie Zamperini (Olympic runner)
Louie in popular culture:
- Louie (character in the DuckTales series)
- Louie (character in the Jungle Book series)
- Louie De Palma (character in the Taxi series)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Tomsickova Tatyana/Shutterstock.com.