Shonta is a striking modern baby name for girls. Contemporary in composition, Shonta also contains hints of classic warmth that makes it appealing in popular culture. Shonta is the name of a main character in The Shot Callers by Lakesha Singletary, and it is also the name of a supporting character in Actions with Consequences by Virdez Evans. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Shonta:
French: Stone, sung
Gaelic: God is gracious
Origin of the name Shonta:
Shonta is a modern baby name with several possible origins. For many families, Shonta is a short form of Shantal. This name is an alternative spelling of Chantal. The French name Chantal derived from the Old Provençal pronunciation of the word cantal (meaning “stone” or “rock”). Alternatively, Shonta is also the short form of Shontae. This name is an alternative spelling of French word Chanté (meaning “sung”).
Finally, some linguists believe that Shonta is a variation of Shona or Shonda. Both names are anglicized versions of Seonag and Seònaid. Seonag is the Scottish Gaelic form of Joan (meaning “God is gracious”), and Seònaid is the diminutive of the same name.
Symbolism of the name Shonta:
Shonta is a modern name with various origins. One of the most popular origins is that Shonta is a dimunitive of Shantal. This name is a variant of Chantal (meaning “rock”). Chantal originated as a location-based surname. In addition, some French parents used Chantal as a given name to honor Saint Jeanne-Françoise de Chantal. As the patron saint of widows, Saint Chantal founded the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary. Her nunnery famously accepted women rejected from other orders due to illness or age. The symbol of Chantal is the boulder. For members of the order, this symbol represents faithfulness and consistency.
Style of the name Shonta:
Gender of the name Shonta:
Shonta is a girl's babnyy namem
Pronunciation of the name Shonta:
Number of syllables in the name Shonta:
Emotion evoked from the name Shonta:
The name Shonta evokes feelings of power and promise.
Alternative spellings for the name Shonta:
Nicknames for the name Shonta:
Popularity of the name Shonta:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Shonta was the 12,402nd most popular baby name for girls in 2003.
Related names for the name Shonta:
Great middle names for Shonta and their meanings:
- Angeline (heavenly messenger, celestial being)
- Brittany (person from Britain)
- Crescent (increasing, growing, curvature, ascendant)
- Destiny (fate, fortune, predetermination)
- Denise (follower of Dionysus)
- Josephine (God will add, God will increase)
- Lorraine (famous warrior, person from Lothar)
- Melody (song, tune, rhythm)
- Peregrine (pilgrim, traveler, sojourner)
- Robin (bright fame, songbird)
- Ynes (pure, holy, chaste)
- Zia (light, splendor, radiance)
Famous people with the name Shonta:
- Shonta Chaloux (social activist)
- Shonta Garr (softball player)
- Shonta Renee Gibson (memoir writer)
- Shonta Smith (actress)
- Shonta Thomas (poet)
- Shonta Turner (actress)
Shonta in popular culture:
- Shonta (character in The Shot Callers by Lakesha Singletary)
- Shonta (character in Actions with Consequences by Virdez Evans)