At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Microwave Fudge Recipes
Fudge is so delicious, so delectable, it’s hard to imagine that it can be prepared in a microwave. Yet these recipes are for a rich and smooth chocolatey good fudge treat that can be heated up in this convenient appliance.
While most classic desserts date back thousands of years, fudge is a somewhat newer invention originating in America in the 1880’s.
It may have first been made accidently when sugar was allowed to recrystallize in a batch of caramels. The cook may have said “oh, fudge!” when he or she realized their mistake and the rest, as they say, is history.
One of the first documented accounts of the history of fudge dates back to 1886 when a college student in Poughkeepsie, NY wrote a letter about a fellow schoolmate who sold fudge at her school for 40 cents a pound. The student obtained the recipe and it quickly spread with different variations being created as it went.
The recipe was known for being exceptionally delicate where any wrong move could ruin the whole batch. Eventually, measurements were perfected to ensure an improved success rate.
Although fudge is traditionally made in chocolate, many variations have been created over the years so that it is now available in many flavors and with a variety of fillings and toppings. White chocolate, coconut, cookie dough, caramel, toffee and walnut are just some of the different flavorings and ingredients that can be added to fudge to give it a unique taste.
We provide two microwave fudge recipes, both of which contain marshmallow and nuts. Both can be heated in the microwave to help them achieve their great taste and texture. Choose the one that works best for you. Then look forward to giving your friends and family a treat that is sure to melt in their mouths.
Microwave Fudge Recipe 1
2 cups miniature marshmallows
14 oz. can condensed milk
1 dash Salt
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. In 2 qt. glass measure, combine marshmallows, milk, and salt. Microcook on HIGH 3-4 minutes. Stir until marshmallows melt and mixture is smooth.
2. Add chips and stir until melted. Stir in nuts (may use up to 1 cup) and vanilla.
3. Line 8 or 9 inch square pan with wax paper. Spread fudge evenly in pan. Chill 2 hours, until firm.
4. Turn on to cutting board, peel off paper and cut into squares. Serves 32.
Microwave Fudge Recipe 2
4 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 can (14 oz.) evaporated milk
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate bits
7 oz. marshmallow cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
1. In 4-quart bowl mix sugar, milk and butter. Cook on high 20 to 22 minutes or until softball stage or 234 degrees on candy thermometer. Stir well every 5 minutes during cooking.
2. Stir in chocolate bits and marshmallow cream until well blended. Add vanilla and nuts and mix.
3. Pour into buttered 9-inch square dish for thick pieces or 7 1/2 x 12 inch for thinner pieces. Chill and cut.