At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Vegetable Soup Recipe
When is the best time for a great vegetable soup recipe? Perhaps on a lazy Sunday drive you couldn’t resist the urge to stop by that quaint little roadside produce stand. Maybe the uniform vegetable stacks in your local grocery store of the beautifully colored vegetables put a spell on you. You couldn’t ignore the reds, purples, green, yellows and oranges.
It’s later and those gorgeous vegetables aren’t so pretty anymore. You need to prepare them now before they expire. Vegetable soup is the perfect way to help you clean out that vegetable bin, while preparing a tasty, healthy meal for you and those around you to enjoy.
3 lb. fresh tomatoes
2 1/2 quarts water or chicken broth
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 bay leaves
3 teaspoon basil leaves, divided
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
2 cups cauliflower flowerettes
2 cups fresh corn kernels
2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups sliced zucchini
2 cups peeled, diced potatoes
1. Use tomatoes held at room temperature. Remove cores and coarsely chop.
2. Place in a large pot with water. Bring to a boil.
3. Add onion and celery, bay leaves, 1 1/2 teaspoons basil, salt and black pepper.
4. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add remaining vegetables.
5. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 45 to 60 minutes longer.
6. Add remaining basil leaves, simmer 5 minutes longer.