8 ounces dried spinach pasta
5 ounces lower-sodium, low-fat ham, all visible fat discarded, diced (about 1 cup)
1 cup fat-free milk
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons low-fat tub cream cheese
¾ cup frozen peas, partially thawed
¼ cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
1. Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt and oil. Drain well in a colander. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Cook the ham over medium heat for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and flour until smooth. Pour over the ham. Heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened, stirring frequently.
4. Stir in the cream cheese. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until melted, stirring constantly.
5. Stir in the peas. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through. Stir in the pasta and Parmesan.
Total Fat 6g
Diabetic Exchanges: 3½ starch, 1½ lean meat