This blueberry cake uses fresh blueberries, it's the cake to make when those luscious berries are in season. Blueberry season is the perfect time to treat yourself to this wonderfully delicious cake. With a hint of cinnamon sugar, this old fashioned favorite will become a tradition at summer picnics or for family gatherings.
Blueberry Cake Ingredients:
2 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 Tablespoon flour (to coat berries)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
cinnamon sugar for topping (1 Tablespoon sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon)
Blueberry Cake Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degreees F.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff. Beat in 1/4 cup of sugar.
3. In another bowl, cream butter. Add salt, vanilla, and remaining sugar gradually.
4. Add egg yolks and beat until creamy.
5. Sift flour with baking powder. Add alternately to creamed mixture with milk.
6. Fold in beaten egg whites. Coat the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of flour and then fold into mixture.
7. Pour batter into a well greased and floured 8x8 inch pan. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
8. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 40-50 minutes. Cool on rack. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.