This hummingbird cake recipe is an old fashioned favorite that gets passed around at potlucks, picnics, and family gatherings. Shared for years, this cake recipe has stood the test of time. It's deliciously different, filled with sweet fruit and spicy cinnamon.
Hummingbird Cake Recipe
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups bananas, diced
1 cup chopped nuts
1. Combine all dry ingredients in bowl. Add eggs and oil, stir until well mixed.
3. Add vanilla, pineapple, bananas and nuts. Mix until well blended by hand with a wire whisk or spoon.
4. Spoon batter into greased and floured 13 x 9 inch pan.
5. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 45 to 45 minutes (test with toothpick). Bake 40 minutes if using 2 (9 inch) pans.
6. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe below).
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 box confectioners sugar
1 stick (8 Tablespoons) butter
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
1. Beat first four ingredients together with electric mixer. If too thick, add a little milk.
2. Frost Hummingbird Cake, sprinkle chopped nuts on top of icing.
Other Great Cake Ideas
After trying this delicious hummingbird cake, give some of our other cake ideas a try. You don't need to be a master baker to make great cakes. By trying all of these ideas, though, you'll be well on your way to being one!
First, keep it simple and try an orange cake. Orange cake is delicious, but vastly underappreciated. A good orange cake can be a fantastic way to cap off a summer picnic. Frost with vanilla or chocolate frosting for the perfect combination.
Next, why not make a filled cake? Filled cakes are a great way to step up your baking game without being too difficult. There are tons of fillings to choose from, so pick the one that interests you the most! We recommend starting with a basic filling, since otherwise you might overwhelm yourself!
Finally, try a rainbow layer cake. This type of cake is absolutely gorgeous, and is sure to impress. Whether you need to make a cake for a gathering or for a birthday party, a rainbow layer cake will do the trick. This cake takes time and patience to prepare, but it isn't too particularly challenging.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Lesya Dolyuk/Shutterstock.com.