Last Updated on
Rich Chocolate Mint Layer Cake
2 (3-oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
6 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup hot water
4 oz. (4 squares) semisweet chocolate, melted
¼ cup butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
2. In large bowl, combine cream cheese, ½ cup butter, vanilla and peppermint extract; blend until smooth.
3. Add powdered sugar alternately with hot water, beating until smooth. Add chocolate; blend well.
4. In another large bowl, combine 2 cups of the frosting mixture and ¼ cup butter; blend well. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Slowly add flour, baking soda, salt and milk; beat until smooth.
6. Pour batter evenly into greased and floured pans.
7. Bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely then frost with remaining frosting.