Do you have a PTA bake sale coming up that you need to make something for? Fear not; this delicious coconut cake will surely be a hit! Plus, it's easy to make. So, if you have to make multiple cakes for this sale, you won't be spending hours and hours baking.
Coconut cake is delightful in taste, yet manages to not be too sweet or too dense. When you're making a cake for a lot of people, you want to go with a flavor that can be appealing to the broadest demographic. While a lot of people out there may love deathly chocolate cake, it isn't going to be appealing to those without an extreme sweet tooth.
The great thing about this recipe is that it doesn't just have to be made for a PTA bake sale. You can make this coconut cake recipe at any time, for just your family if you like! It's a highly flexible recipe that's great to make for any gathering.
So, roll up your sleeves and get baking! If you can, get your kids to join in and help too. Maybe even consider making an extra cake just for them. PTA bake sales are a great way to raise money for a good cause, so we thank you for your participation. We hope your cake sells quickly!
PTA Bake Sale Coconut Cake
1 ¾ cup sifted cake flour
2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
1 cup sugar plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
⅔ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
⅔ cup coconut
Coconut Frosting (recipe below)
1. Sift together the sifted flour, baking powder, and salt. Cream the butter.
2. Gradually add sugar; cream until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beating after each addition until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and coconut.
4. Pour batter into two 8 inch layer pans, lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes then remove and cool on racks.
Coconut Cream Frosting:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups confectioner's sugar
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon coconut flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
1. Beat the cream cheese and butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add the confectioner's sugar, one cup at a time, alternating with heavy cream.
3. Beat in the salt, coconut flavoring, and vanilla extract. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and spreadable. Add additional confectioner's sugar if necessary to thicken the frosting, or more cream to thin.
4. Stir in the coconut. If desired, spoon additional shredded coconut evenly over frosted cake.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Darryl Brooks/Shutterstock.com.