Last Updated on
Blueberry Cake Recipe
We’ve all heard of blueberry pie, but blueberry cake is not as well known. Yet, it is quite a delectable treat that can be eaten for breakfast or as a dessert. It is also perfect for serving at picnics and barbecues.
When we look up blueberry cake, we see there is a wide variety to choose from. Blueberries can be used in multi-layer cakes or baked in a pan to make them more pastry like. Although this recipe yields pastry like squares, the base can be expanded upon to make more elaborate desserts.
However, the version we have here is perfect for coffee time, family gatherings and also works well as an early morning treat.
Although the blueberry cake we are making can’t quite be considered a health food, blueberries are known for the benefits they provide. They are high in dietary fiber, antioxidants, Vitamin C and manganese. The rich content of these nutrients helps the body to maintain functioning and reduces the risk of certain diseases.
The cake also contains cinnamon which is known as one of the healthiest spices due to its high antioxidant content and its ability to work as an anti-inflammatory.
Milk is another healthy ingredient found in the recipe known to provide calcium and Vitamin D to the body.
This blueberry cake uses fresh blueberries so it’s the cake to make when those luscious berries are in season. In North America, blueberry season typically runs from April until late September but imports from South America can be found on grocery store shelves for the remainder of the year. This means any time is the perfect time to treat yourself to this wonderfully delicious cake.
With a hint of cinnamon sugar, this old fashioned favorite will become a tradition at summer picnics, family gatherings or whenever it is served.
Blueberry Cake Ingredients:
2 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 Tablespoon flour (to coat berries)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
cinnamon sugar for topping (1 Tablespoon sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon)
Blueberry Cake Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degreees F.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff. Beat in 1/4 cup of sugar.
3. In another bowl, cream butter. Add salt, vanilla, and remaining sugar gradually.
4. Add egg yolks and beat until creamy.
5. Sift flour with baking powder. Add alternately to creamed mixture with milk.
6. Fold in beaten egg whites. Coat the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of flour and then fold into mixture.
7. Pour batter into a well greased and floured 8×8 inch pan. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
8. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 40-50 minutes. Cool on rack. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.