This is the old fashioned luscious and creamy banana pudding recipe, it doesn't use packaged pudding mix (and you can taste the difference). This recipe is made with plenty of real bananas and a hint of vanilla to create the perfect taste. This also makes a great filling for banana cream pie; just top with meringue and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes until the meringue is browned. Chill and serve.
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
7 cups milk
4 egg yolks, beaten
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 package (12-oz) vanilla wafers
9 ripe medium bananas, peeled & sliced
1. Combine sugar, flour, and cornstarch in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well, and set aside.
2. Pour milk into a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until candy thermometer registers 160 degrees F.
3. Gradually stir one-fourth of hot milk into yolks; stir into reserved dry ingredients, and add to remaining hot milk.
4. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the spoon. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla.
5. Let cool to room temperature. Line bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with one-third of the vanilla wafers.
6. Arrange half of banana slices over wafers; top with half of cooled custard. Repeat layers, reserving one-third of wafers to crumble and sprinkle over custard.
7. Chill thoroughly. Makes 20 servings.
Easy RecipesMain Page
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!